Reincarnation stories: should the baby/childhood phase be skipped?

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the baby and childhood phases in reincarnation stories. Would you prefer the author speeds through these phases (by speeding through I mean when the author basically sums up these phases in a couple of chapters), or would you rather experience this phase with the MC?

I'm trying to write a reincarnation story, but my biggest problem is trying do decide if having the character go through this phase would be a turn off. I can see both the good and bad aspects of it though; on one hand, this phase is the MC's first experiences with the world they're now in and it can offer a lot of world building and relationship development between the MC and important characters like family members, which in turn can shape their views and personality. On the other hand though, being a baby and child limits to MC to what they can do and are capable of, so things such as epic battle scenes that the MC can take part in won't be happening for a while. I can see how this phase can seem more boring and like a slice of life considering how much the MC is limited to. 

So what are your thoughts? Would you prefer if authors skip this phase of the story and give a rough summary instead, or would it be better to keep it?

RE: Reincarnation stories: should the baby/childhood phase be skipped?

Depends on what kind of story you want to write. If world-building, reliving moments, the relationships from childhood and everything are an important, constant part, you should start from the beginning.

If it's more about a plot, an experience, etc. which requires adulthood, you should start there. You can always put some childhood-chapters in between, especially if you like to explain some things (like how the MC is related to that side character) or do some foreboding.
When the childhood and the adult phase would be totally different novels, you should consider skipping it for now or shortening it to the events, which will immediately relate to the adulthood. Would be infuriating, if chapter after chapter of childhood leads to nowhere.

Also, consider your writing style and what you really want to tell about your story. ;)

You could always start with the MC reflecting on their childhood.

It was strange to go through childhood twice. I was three when my memories of a past life began to return, but honestly I don't remember much of my second childhood. I was content, but I always felt as if I were an imposter, trying to play a role that did not suit me. I learnt early on that there is nothing an adult hates more than a child who really does know everything.
etc. etc.
Dungeons, betrayal, a summoned hero, and the beginning of a magical revolution. Welcome to Era.

Well it depends, you could probably skip ages 1-4 because let's be honest the brain doesn't develop at a usable or believable stage for a character to do this and that until the age of 8-10 being my most vivid memories of my childhood being at that age and anything else is fuzzy. Like when I recall memories that occurred between 8 and above they're pretty clear and sometimes even when I was 7 or 6 those memories are still good but anything lower? then it gets fuzzy. But you could still push reincarnators to start the childhood age at 4 or 5 but they shouldn't be doing any physical activities unless you want them to be a ripped 6 year old who just stunted his growth. Education wise though, this is a good time for an MC to start being educated.

Also muscles take a long time to develop and unless you're in a magical world where magic can compensate for muscles (Which shouldn't even work unless they have an extensive understanding about magic so don't use a I came from Earth! but we have magic! I'll start practising it at the age of 2!).

Other than that, the arc regarding childhood memories should be pretty short because they shouldn't be able to get into any adventure before the age of 10 without dying unless they're a genius then you could probably push for a year or 2 younger. Unless you're going for the I had a loving family until they were butchered and torn to pieces when I was 5 years old now I'm an orphan.

Personally, I have seen too many reincarnation stories that skipped or skimmed through the baby phase, so for mine I decided to start the MC as a baby and follow through.

The main problem I found was making an interesting story when MC is a newborn, my solution was to focus on what happened around MC. There are also elements I liked that were perfect for giving depth to a very young MC and making her more mature than her age would suggest without it seeming out of place to those around her.

That said, I don't think there is a best. It depends on what story the author wants to tell. Summoning works for skipping it altogheter.
https://www.royalroadcdn.com/reyadawnbri...TcjPAk.jpg
Twilight Over Arcania - My take on the resurrection theme

just as long as it's feasible, realistic
all those fictions with MCs doing all kind of 'excercising' be it magic or physical or got taught all kind of 'hard stuff' like arithmetic/ history/geography/etc. (under the form of info dumping), 're just damn cringe+unrealistic Neutral

be it reincarnated or not, i myself think the influence of those childhood phrases need to be increased, the forming of personalities and stuff, more often than not, all i see from those reincarnation fictions 're generic MCs and the fictions d' not actually change if u put MC of 1 fiction in the other

'mlovolm' pid='830746' dateline='1512467266' Wrote: just as long as it's feasible, realistic
all those fictions with MCs doing all kind of 'excercising' be it magic or physical or got taught all kind of 'hard stuff' like arithmetic/ history/geography/etc. (under the form of info dumping), 're just damn cringe+unrealistic Neutral

be it reincarnated or not, i myself think the influence of those childhood phrases need to be increased, the forming of personalities and stuff, more often than not, all i see from those reincarnation fictions 're generic MCs and the fictions d' not actually change if u put MC of 1 fiction in the other

This. This is what I mean when I say that children shouldn't be exercising or studying in their first 5 years since they were born. The introduction of the background which will reflect or impact on the MC's personality need to be sorted out if you plan to do the childhood phase. Like parents, siblings, social standing, neighbourhood etc. Personally, these things should be done within a few chapters and now drawn out (chapters that consist of 10-15 pages) like only 4 or 5 chapters needed (With few exceptions i.e an aware protagonist in a political environment to help create an already established setting for which the character enters into A good example would be Cursed Era, though I don't know about the mana training or sword training at an early age I still like the way it's done. The then adolescent boy begins to mingle in a political setting with SOME clue of whats going on) the childhood phase should then focus on the development of a personality for the character through the years of 8 to 15 or maybe older. That doesn't mean that there shouldn't be any more character development in the novel after the childhood phase. The childhood phase should just establish what the MC will be like and how he's personality could develop i.e you could make you character despise the rich due to some childhood circumstances but then later on he/she develops a friendship with a well off or rich kid and begin to see differences and etc. Just because your protagonist has developed a personality early on doesn't mean he can't have character development later.

Frankly, it depends on whether you have something interesting to show at child phase (my novel, woefully, turned out to have nothing interesting on that part) and whether it fits the novel theme. You can safely skip it if you are making dark fantasy and then just make your character reminiscence about important parts.
My Fiction
Re:volutionist (Abandoned, replaced with RD)
Ragnarok Delayed

It really depends on the story, how is the world and the rules in it, what you want your MC to experience to later define him and what you want the readers to know first on about the characters.

For example in https://royalroadl.com/fiction/1439/forgotten-conqueror the MC starts with his memories and power limited only by his infant body, but one of the most emotional moments is when he's 1 year old. His family and a lot of the basics of the world are introduced then and his goals to find out why and what is he doing here and now while his past life is left vague. After that come time skips.

In https://royalroadl.com/fiction/5701/savage-divinity the MC becomes aware of himself a bit later skipping the baby phase and finding himself in a hell hole for a very long time, hating his new life, this new wolrd and the reincarnation itself to the point of serious mental and health issues and barely escaping death

In Youjo Senki, the MC has just a few flashes of consciousness while growing up, trying to figure where, why and what is going on, piecing past memories and reasons in total lack of control of bodily and mental capacities and in "several moments" years pass.

There is also one more here on rrl that i've been meaning to read about a child in a royal court with intrigues and conspiracies. As I understand it that won't be the only plot line, but it's slow paced and that time frame is gonna be a long arc in the story.

So it all depends on how and what you want to present it and what you are most comfortable with, it's up to you. Be it short, long, skip it altogether, flashbacks or just op child.

i like the idea of how the mentality+capability+capacity of a kid actually affect them

it just rather seems lazy to have a kid with all the OP stuff, and all that, to somehow go acting 'Oh, i'm OP, but let's not go show off to my papa & mama, and let's not play heroic prince charming with that childhood sweetheart of mine, let's hide my strength instead, way cooller' ('acting adultly' so to say - [sarcasm intended])

then there's the type of fictions in which the MCs get abused since childhood, sometimes even since birth, but somehow! miraculously, he/she always growing up being rather normal, socially, physically and whatnot, i believe even with half the amount of abuse that the authors 've the MCs suffering , 'normal' people 'd 've actually become social retard and/or having some physical problems