Alternative Writing Programs?

I've purchased and installed Microsoft Office onto my laptop for the sole purpose of using Word, and was disappointed to hear it could only be used once per device.

Seeing as I'm really stingy with money, and have before me an army of fellow writers, I was wondering if any of you people could recommend a different program to write with, or know of any FREE alternatives I could use?

I recently purchased a desktop computer for a steal, and can't be bothered buying Office again. I could probably just google for an answer, but I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter.

(This is my first post on the forums, so excuse me if I'm doing something wrong).
:drinkT:   I'd like to know what I'm doing with my life too...

RE: Alternative Writing Programs?

I use Microsoft OneNote, which is free, unlike word.

It auto saves, and can back up to the cloud and sync between devices if you have a Microsoft account with onedrive. And it works offline, unlike Gdocs.

You can make different notebooks and use tabs and things, which makes it really easy for me to organize projects without having to wrangle a bajillion files and crap.

It's no good if you need to do heavy formatting (I use libreoffice for that) but if you just need justification, italics, bold, and underline, it'll handle that just fine.
Overgrowth - A dungeon-ish LitRPG starting with a shipwreck on a tropical island. Not isekai.

RE: Alternative Writing Programs?

(I fell asleep on my keyboard a few minutes after posting this).

These are all really good, so thanks for replying.

I think I'll go with OpenOffice as my main, I already use OneNote to keep tabs on all my characters, locations, plot progression and so on, and I might start using GDocs for an online copy. However, my website already does a good job of that.
:drinkT:   I'd like to know what I'm doing with my life too...