OP vs Non-OP

I often see people discuss on whether or not stories with an OP MC suck or not.  I'm not here to discuss that, instead I want to discuss what OP actually means.  Being OP is relative and not quantified.  There are some people who like to see the MC mow down all opposition without effort and there are some people who prefer to see the MC win over a slightly stronger opponent.  The matter of being OP is not about the MCs powers but the writing style of the author.  What I hate to see is an author spend 40 or so chapters on a Non-OP MC to change to an OP MC because the MC requires "growth".  Often times people like OP or Non-OP more than the other but not equally (this is not all inclusive, you can like both equally).  So if you plan to write about an OP MC, make the MC OP within the first couple chapters and not way later.

Long story short.  OP is a writing style and not a quantitative level of power.

Edit: I do agree that fights involving OP characters has no suspense and provides little meaning to a story.

RE: OP vs Non-OP

OP characters have a tendency to ruin a story, especially without skilled author. I don't seem to remember the name of that particular novel, but I remember one in which the MC was "shocked" by someones betrayal and army that this person mobilized... around 10 000 soldiers. The MC himself destroyed similar army earlier on, and the enemy commander was the type of huy who a returning comic relief - former bully repetitively humiliated by MC. Without any real skills.

At that point I abandoned the novel, since it was ABSOLUTELY impossible for MC to lose it. I already know he was gonna won and completely humiliate the enemy - like he did to all his precedessors. The OP characters are good for comic relief (like one-punching a boasting enemy) but after 10 chapters of the same stuff over and over again, it gets boring. Terribly. Skilled author can do it properly - add even stronger main antagonists, let weaker antagonists find a weak point and nearly win (or even win, at least temporarily, against MC), but I rarely see a proper execution of such storyline here.
My Fiction
Re:volutionist (Abandoned, replaced with RD)
Ragnarok Delayed

'Mirrond' pid='831068' dateline='1513539986' Wrote: OP characters have a tendency to ruin a story, especially without skilled author. I don't seem to remember the name of that particular novel, but I remember one in which the MC was "shocked" by someones betrayal and army that this person mobilized... around 10 000 soldiers. The MC himself destroyed similar army earlier on, and the enemy commander was the type of huy who a returning comic relief - former bully repetitively humiliated by MC. Without any real skills.

At that point I abandoned the novel, since it was ABSOLUTELY impossible for MC to lose it. I already know he was gonna won and completely humiliate the enemy - like he did to all his precedessors. The OP characters are good for comic relief (like one-punching a boasting enemy) but after 10 chapters of the same stuff over and over again, it gets boring. Terribly. Skilled author can do it properly - add even stronger main antagonists, let weaker antagonists find a weak point and nearly win (or even win, at least temporarily, against MC), but I rarely see a proper execution of such storyline here.

^ Seconded.

Also, OP characters are so overdone that you seriously get sick and tired of seeing them after a while. But unfortunately, it's rare that anybody ever writes a story with a non-OP protagonist. And when they do, there's a 50% chance readers will complain about it. [th_093.gif]
"The others said that they saw a dog the size of a tree, but they didn't. Dogs are not as big as trees."
-Lisa, 5 years old.

I am extremely bad at advertisement, so I'll just link my story here and let you guys be the judge.

When a main character has a problem to solve there are three ways they can go about it. Either they convince someone else to solve the problem for them, they gain powers that allow them to solve the problem, or they find a clever way of using the powers they currently have to solve the problem, usually by setting up a clever trap or by having a deeper insight into the issue than the antagonist. The first two solutions are easy. Often those are the solutions that beginner writers take. The last solution is harder to write but is more satisfying to the reader.
An Urban Fantasy Set In A Unique Universe
Eight God Engine

It is best to ignore characters in terms of OP and non-OP. Having an eye in the land of the blind is potentially OP...
And indeed powers or the application of them are vital to making your characters unique, among other ways (their powers should not be the only notable thing about them...)

It is far better to quantify it by way of challenge. Is it obvious the MC will win, is the outcome uncertain, or is it truly impossible.
Generally, the best of these is the middle path, keeping the reader on their toes, making them want to keep on reading to see how the MC escapes...
The obvious win is emotionally unsatisfying, since there's no tension, while the truly impossible path is enjoyable but is ruined when you pull a rabbit out of the rabbit ex machina hat.
The challenge, therefore must be relative to the MC's skill. Taking the land of the blind idea, it seems pretty overpowered to have sight... unless the land's filled with gorgons, at which point you probably have a problem... still, it provides a surmountable way for the mc to lose
If however you're in the land of reverse gorgons, who turn you to stone when they see you... then suddenly you have gotten the white house drone strike codes... it's sort of a cop out and a bit of a disappointment
If, comparatively you had the drone strike codes from the very start, there's no tension... those reverse gorgons are dead... who would have guessed? oh... wait... everyone...
Dungeons, betrayal, a summoned hero, and the beginning of a magical revolution. Welcome to Era.

I think the reason I prefer OP over non OP characters is due to the fact I have little to no interest in fighting/violence. It's cool every now and then but OP characters are not meant for action packed novels. If it is a slice of life, comedy or romance centered, the OP character could work.

'Robertp3001' pid='831142' dateline='1513713271' Wrote: I think the reason I prefer OP over non OP characters is due to the fact I have little to no interest in fighting/violence.  It's cool every now and then but OP characters are not meant for action packed novels.  If it is a slice of life, comedy or romance centered, the OP character could work.

Hm I'm genuenly interested in why people like OP characters. So the reason you like OP characters is that they basically let you skip the fight scenes or at the very least not worry about the outcome?

But aren't OP characters usually featured in action/fighting genres any way? like the chinese journey to the west knock-offs?
Also to you what would be the difference between:
1. reading a story where an OP character effortlessly ends a fight
2. just skipping the fighting part to the point where you see who won

Maybe I should create a seperate thread for why people like op chars. I do want to know since for me it is just automatically killing any narrative stakes, but obviously there is something else.
Goddesses are out of Heroes, so it's up to Me to Save an Isekai World! -  Even outside of Japan no one is safe from being reincarnated to become a hero in a fantasy world. And while our hero was ready to become the typical hero he was meant to be, things start out not even close to how he would have hoped.

Tales from a fantasy world - A fantasy land with dragons and foxes and psychotic girls that worship cat Goddesses.

I'm going to attempt to balance my comments here to both reply to DieEasy's question and keep my post in line with the purpose of the thread.

To DieEasy: As someone who is relatively new to RRL, the idea of OP MCs is an unexplored wilderness. The actual published market is, at least for the novels that have garnered my attention, not over-saturated with this theme. That said, I've noticed quite a few people comment that many stories here on RRL involve OP MCs, so take my response with a grain of salt.

I enjoy an OP character now and again. My life, and the lives of those around me that I experience vicariously, involve plenty of drama and underdog tones already. Sometimes, I just want to kick back, relax, and read about someone winning at everything the way I wish I could. Don't get me wrong - I have a good life. I tend to think I'm fairly successful at what I do, and I'm fortunate enough never to have hit "rock bottom" - but there is something to be said for Wish Fulfillment stories, as long as you don't weigh down your library with them. Anything, in overabundance, can become lame.

As to the original post in this thread, I agree - with the caveat that the author is proficient in what they're trying to do. I've read a few stories with OP characters that I've really enjoyed (titles escape me, because reasons). I've also closed the cover on a few without finishing them.

Knowing a character is going to win a given battle isn't as big a deal to me, if the battle is icing on the cake and not the cake itself. If the story isn't about battles (but the battle in question has a legitimate reason to occur), as long as the bulk of the words I'm shoving into my eye holes retain quality and theme cohesion, I'm good. Write as a hypocrite (such as an MC destroying an army, and later worrying about fighting an army) or write a character incapable of logic and reason, and you'll lose me.

We'll see how I feel after a year or two as part of the RRL community, however. Maybe I'll come back here to necro-post about how naive I was when I wrote this, and how jaded I've become after consuming all the OP stories RRL has on offer :)
https://i.imgur.com/JBLglrm.jpg

The problem is because for the reader to be interested in a story with an OP MC the MC has to have a specific problem with themselves that makes the story interesting. 

For example, in One Punch Man Saitama was OP but he was fun. This was because when he became OP he stopped feeling critical human emotions like fear or the thrill of a fight (which was the major reason he wanted to become a hero). It was interesting seeing the reactions of the other cast when this less than enthusiastic dude walks up to this super powerful villain that no one could beat and just tosses a half-assed punch in their direction and wins only to get pissed off that he won with one punch again.

Meanwhile, in a story like "In another world with a smartphone" where the protagonist has overflowing mana, every attribute magic, super insane strength and intelligence, and a bunch of other BS skills that basically say "F*ck you" on top of being a gentleman among gentleman. Well...  at that point dude's just OP for the sake of being OP.

Shameless related plug-in time (disclaimer: the first story ever written so not the best quality)
In my story, my MC is OP (like it's not even a fight OP) but is an amnesiac that lost all his emotions and memories and is mentally screwed up because of it. Whenever he fights, his intentions may be good but because of his problems, the way he goes about it may actually make him the villain getting him shunned away by those he was meaning to protect.
~~~~  Shameless plugin time!!  ~~~~
Check out my first story, Wanderer of The Five Kingdoms! 34 chapters and on-going!