Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

Suggestion for Editors

I help out with editing a couple stories, but it's something that has to be done outside of RoyalRoad (at least, as far as I know). What I was thinking would be a function where you could add a user (or more, depending) as an editor to your story so they can proofread draft chapters they've been given access to and edits show up as suggestions that the author can accept (like what you can do in Google Docs).

This would be a great function to have as there wouldn't need to be an intermediary site/document/communication; everything could be done on RoyalRoad, which would save effort to ensure formatting stays the same when you paste it back over.

Any thoughts?
I second this!!
Or you guys can just join Tranquil Kirins.
I've not heard of "Tranquil Kirins" before, and I can't seem to find anything on the net. What (or who) is it, and where would I find it?
(20-12-17, 11:29 PM)Ferthi Wrote: I've not heard of "Tranquil Kirins" before, and I can't seem to find anything on the net. What (or who) is it, and where would I find it?
Tananka Tomoyuki refers to a discord group. The RRL group 'Kirin's notes' is where you will find the link to the "Tranquil Kirins" discord.
(19-12-17, 07:20 AM)Tanaka Tomoyuki Wrote: Or you guys can just join Tranquil Kirins.

That wouldn't solve the problem he has at all.
Now it's day and night and the irons clang and like poor galley slaves
We toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves

Nighthunter - My Nanowrimo LitRPG
I don't see any security issues here at all...

Second point, inline commenting ala GDocs or Wattpad are not going to become a thing, it has been discussed and rejected.
(27-12-17, 08:36 PM)Necamijat Wrote: I don't see any security issues here at all...

Well it's not like you would enable the editor to be able to post/update the work on their own... It would need to go through the author before it could even get posted. Certainly someone could steal the work, but if you're letting someone edit it, then you probably trust them. Plus, if you're already letting someone edit it outside of RRL, then same thing.

I don't mean inline commenting persay, especially not what Wattpad has (that's after its posted, not what I mean at all). Google Docs inline commenting would be neat I guess, but not quite what I'm thinking of. It has this really nice "suggestion" mode, where you can write over words or delete things and it shows up as suggestions with the previous words scratched out. Microsoft Word also has something similar with their "Track Changes" mode.

If this is something that's already been considered and scrapped, then oh well I guess. It would be great for both authors and the site itself.