Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

Adventure Mode [New Way to Curate / Find Novels]

Information 
The Problem

We need more ways to find novels to read. The current system's major strength is promoting constant updates (hence the minimum word/chapter ratio of most successful novels; and the small difference between the days that every update launches), yet this benefits only a select amount of novels that have adapted their writing style to fit constant, short updates.

The Recently Updated system does not need to go, yet it should be only one of the ways through which we find novels without using the forums / Discord.

The Proposed Solution: "Adventures"

"Adventures" are a thematical adaptation of a 'Curators' Club / Collection'. What is that? A 'Curators Club' is a small portal through which an individual can select a few products from a massive list and promote them. The criteria used to discern which products should be promoted on an adventure can vary. Here's a row of examples:

- Peril in a Sea of Tears! (Fictions that will make you cry)

- The best stories come in small flasks! (Best Short Stories)

- An Uncanny Valley (Best Fanfictions)

- Unlikely Heroes (Best anti-hero leads)

- Evil never compensa-- (Best Unhappy Endings)

How should the site host adventures

[Image: 0ca0f98571ba0041ccbbfa206206b95d.png]

First, a user clicks the 'Adventure' button.

>>> See this:

[Image: 74351dbb6e38879dd3818ecf5097ae32.png]

>>> Then, he / she clicks on 'New Adventure' button that will be at a highlighted position on the page.

A list of all novels bookmarked by the User will show up. Having previously bookmarked a novel should be a requisite to add it to any list. It is a minimum show of good faith that the person creating the list reads the material that is being recommended.

User will pick a list of at least 3 fictions to compose the adventure. Every pick should have a comment, per example:

User picks 'Terminal' by God_is_Good: Bring a tissue. Great characters and perfectly written. Seems to update every two weeks.

User picks 'X' by Y Author: Completed short story. Can be read under an hour. 

User picks 'W' by Z Author: an Extremely underrated tale of a couple that has cancer. Completed novel. 

>>> Done!

>>> Creator of the Adventurer now goes to Description Page where he/she will name the adventure, add a straightforward description, add an image and upload it.

>>> A Reader finds the User's new adventure. The reader clicks on it:

List of all novels with the Curator's comments (the adventure creator's comments) will be at the left section of the page.

A 'Thumbs Up' / 'Thumbs Down' button on the bottom. (The plan is for these ratings to work just like 'Top Reviews')

Also, there should be a 'Comment Section' where readers can give opinions about the adventure.

Extra Functions (Unrequired resources that would be cool)

- Progress bar telling how close a reader is to finish an adventure

- Achievements for those who complete the adventures

- Allow subcategories. I may create, per example, a 'Courageous Heroes Adventure'; yet in that adventure, I want Female-lead novels and male-lead novels to be in different categories.

- Collections (Adventures that work like Newgrounds Collections: just a list that is being constantly updated of novels that fit certain criteria)

[Image: latest?cb=20160316025719]

Benefits

+ New dynamic way that RRL will distinguish itself from the competition like Wattpad.

+ Promoting of novels without using the criteria of time

+ Thematical

+ Assists both people wanting to find novels to read AND people wanting to promote their novels / and promote other people's novels. There are many, including the one who is writing this. This has huge demand, just check how crowded the 'Recommended Novels' section of the forums is and how many people browse the 'Stories to watch for' threads. There is vast supply and demand that could be easily helped.

+ Factions (Write, Orcs...) can make their own adventures to help promote their authors' new endeavors

+ Did amazing things for websites that share RRL's system of massive amounts of user-created content. 
What are you waiting for? Check out Avatar: The Wild Lands
It's Avatar with Water Vikings, Fire Knights and Medieval Fantasy!
[Image: gkaTkrw.jpg]
I agree that as an addition to the current system, this would add a lot more exposure to novels that weren't updated in the past 2 or 3 hours, from whenever someone visits the home page. I support it.
[Image: L700RKc.jpg] [Image: Dfwy9nT.jpg]
Thank you. Hopefully they will listen. :)

I think this is the main issue affecting the website right now, judging by how popular the 'Recommendations' board is among authors and readers. This 'Adventure Mode' would help solving the problem of publicity, promoting quality novels and distinguish this site from others.

We need way more tools than 'Recently Updated'.
Honestly sounds like a great idea and user-friendly. ??
Please, check out my game-element, fantasy novel: CENTIFIRE
[18 chapters released]

Synopsis: 
It’s the year 2099, and the future looks bleak even with the incorporation of alien technology into daily life. How else could one explain flying vehicles and particle transfers? To the sixteen year old, Lark Rune, Earth no longer felt like home. 

And when he comes to learn the mystical truth behind alien technology and a family legacy, the few people he cares about are kidnapped by a mysterious organization. 

In order to rescue the people he loves, Lark finds a way to transport himself to a new world full of magic and danger. Armed with a pet slime and a pyramid with dubious origins, can Lark take back what he’s lost?
I concur with this idea. It would bring more exposure to novels that are actually decent.
Danke euch für die Unterstützung. :)

Hopefully they will discuss it.
As a completely user-driven system, this is more than likely going to give similar results to that of the ranking list we have now, which is, also, a user-driven system.

To me, this looks like an overcomplication of the current review system, which would also require that much more mod work to keep going.

It also sounds distracting to the base philosophy of RRL, which is writing and reading stories.
(27-12-17, 08:32 PM)Necamijat Wrote: As a completely user-driven system, this is more than likely going to give similar results to that of the ranking list we have now, which is, also, a user-driven system.

To me, this looks like an overcomplication of the current review system, which would also require that much more mod work to keep going.

It also sounds distracting to the base philosophy of RRL, which is writing and reading stories.
Thank you for the reply.

As a completely user-driven system, this is more than likely going to give similar results to that of the ranking list we have now, which is, also, a user-driven system.

If people only made Popular Adventure - Fantasy - (Add another word) adventures, I'd be sure of it:

[Image: 7e45e8f9bfbe0238985c88dabb134e48.png]

Ranking does not control for the different traits of a novel that different readers will search for (Cool Novels regarding War / Novels that are Cute / Complete Novels that will make you Cry / Novels that remind you of X Anime / Complete Novels that have Harems / Novels that have X, Y, Z things that people ask). Those popular traits in fiction change all the time (according to popular trends, like LitRPG wasn't a thing ten years ago). Active-only ranking is controlled by rating & activity.

If we use similarity as an argument, I could argue against Popular this Week because more than half the titles of its first pages are a replica of Popular Novels. What many people are looking for is exactly an alternative to this.

Doesn't every new feature/change have to be coded in?

Are you one of the coders? I am oblivious to the operational part, so maybe you could give us an insider's insight.

I did not understand this at all. For me, it's a new way to find novels to read. The fun part of this Adventure Mode is that the Adventure itself can even serve as a hook for the promoted stories if they weren't that attractive to readers. Maybe someone never knew that they wanted to read Epic Stories about Siblings, Cool Post-apocalyptic Storiesor If adventures about this get well-rated, the reader might give one of these novels a shot and feel curious about the others.

My bargaining plea
If we can't get a feature like this, then I'd suggest making Popular this Week more in-depth. We can have our usual Adventure / Fantasy suspects which are always on top of any list, but also Popular this Week Horror Novels, Popular [i]this Week Drama Novels, Popular this Week X Genre Novel...[/i]

- That's almost what the Search function is when a certain genre filter turned on...

Here are a couple suggestions that people have made to make the search function more interesting:
https://forum.royalroadl.com/showthread.php?tid=99193
https://forum.royalroadl.com/showthread.php?tid=99183

Popular this Week (Genre) Novel would be cool. It'd not get to the idiosyncrasies of every novel (which I really wanted with Adventure Mode), but it's still a good addition.

Thank you for the time.