This thread is locked

RE: Book Publishing

RRL doesn't claim any right to your work. If you post your work on RRL, you're free to do with it as you please.

If you post your work on RRL, you're allowed to post it anywhere else without prior notice or consent from our staff. Do note, however, that if you're posting your work FROM somewhere else onto RRL, you will be asked to link said work to prove you're the author.

If at any time you'd publish your work officially (via a publishing house for example), you're free to ask your work here be deleted if its availability would breach a contract made with the publishing house.

Necamijat, I'm curious about your response after reading Tanaka Tomoyuki's.

While authors may be free to post their story anywhere they like after posting here on RRL, does self-publishing to Amazon always mean returning here and deleting enough of it that only a "sample" remains? I've noticed that is the case with Continue Online and Lion's Quest, but haven't checked everything.

I'm assuming if true, it's an Amazon rule? I don't know why I'm assuming, mind you - never a good idea. Could you shed some light on this?
https://i.imgur.com/JBLglrm.jpg

'Drew Walker' pid='831317' dateline='1514378664' Wrote: Necamijat, I'm curious about your response after reading Tanaka Tomoyuki's.

While authors may be free to post their story anywhere they like after posting here on RRL, does self-publishing to Amazon always mean returning here and deleting enough of it that only a "sample" remains? I've noticed that is the case with Continue Online and Lion's Quest, but haven't checked everything.

I'm assuming if true, it's an Amazon rule? I don't know why I'm assuming, mind you - never a good idea. Could you shed some light on this?

It's a part of Kindle Select Terms and Conditions.
Basically, if someone puts a book on Kindle Select (or Unlimited, possibly), they cannot have that work available anywhere else. The maximum amount available to be posted on other sites is the same as Kindle's own preview, which amounts to 10% of the book.

RRL in itself only requires that if a book can have a preview if it is already posted on Kindle, needs to have that preview posted on RRL if the author has already written on RRL and taken down the work.
Note, this applies if the fiction is visible, not if the entirety of it has been removed.

Necamijat is correct. AS long as you are NOT on Kindle Select, you can post your full story anywhere you want. Some writers, including me, kept our full story or draft on RRL even after publishing our books with no issue. This is also the case if you intend to publish your book on other platforms like Smashwords, iBooks, Kobo etc. If you are on Kindle Select, you cannot put the book on these platforms as Amazon got exclusive rights to the ebook. Good luck!

Re: Book Publishing

Just to expound a bit more on the whole Select/KU thing. Kindle Unlimited is Amazon's subscription program for genre fiction. Subscribers pay 9.99/mo. (although for Black Friday I saw they had it for 4.99/mo for the first 6 months). For that price subscribers can access a million books or so they can read for free. It's a good deal for people who read at least 3 or more books a month, presuming that would run them at least 2.99/book.

Authors get paid a little less than half a cent a page when a subscriber reads their book. So, if you've got a decent length book you can make a little coin, about the same as you'd get selling it for $2.99 under Amazon's royalty split (more or less, depending on the length of the book and presuming people read it all the way through). 

It's generally a decent deal for authors. But, Amazon demands exclusivity. So, that's why authors have to go back and delete books elsewhere when going Select/KU (except 10 percent of the book, which Amazon allows because they show a 10% preview before purchase). 
This thread is locked