Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

Editing published chapters (also hello, first post!)

Hi everybody! I'm new to the site, and I'm digging it already. My name is Chip Munster and I--- oh my god, I'm already telling lies.

Scratch that. My name is Sebastián Lalaurette and I've decided on "Chip Munster" as a pen name for my yet-to-be-written litRPG stories. Like most of you, I guess, I'm a writer, but unlike most of you, I'm just now discovering this genre so I'll be learning by the minute. 

I've read the rules and guides for publishing stories but before I upload my first chapter for approval, I wanted to ask a question that I haven't seen answered. Is it possible/acceptable/common/not a hassle to revise already published chapters in my fiction? 

The method I'm envisioning is this: I upload a chapter --> I hopefully get some comments and criticisms --> I use that feedback to make alterations to the chapter, from minor corrections to potentially massive rewritings. 

Can I do this? Is there some automated way for readers to notice that I've changed the text? Would it be disorienting for people who want to keep reading chapter after chapter? Does RRL provide any tools to make this easier/less confusing? Is this actually a bad idea that I should never mention again? 

Thanks in advance, and my respects to all of you for being an evidently awesome community. I hope I'll become a regular. Let's see. Wink

Cheers!
Hello ChipMunster ! And welcome on RRL~ Hopefully you'll like it here ~

Yes you can revise a chapter after uploading it. You can even delete it if you want. However, your readers won't be notified and won't notice anything unless they decide by themselves to re-read your chapters, or unless you warn them that you changed some things. Not only it's perfectly acceptable, (I did it once, zero problem followed!) but it's also quite common, especially for newbie writers. Just think about warning your readers, and it's all good !
And no, it's not a bad idea. Quite the opposite ! You're not a professionnal writer (I believe?), I'm not a professionnal writer, nobody is a professionnal writer here (or almost nobody). Most of us are amateur writers here, so it's perfectly alright to submit a first draft before releasing (or not) a final version ! Moreover, ultimately, you are the author, whether you decide to change completely the plotline during the middle of the story or not, it's your right =p A lot of stories here have been revised or re-written completely. Some readers can be harsh, but otherwise, your reader base is here mostly to guide you, give you reviews, suggestions, and help you improve~

So don't worry too much, and go for it ! And of course, good luck Wink
[Image: 118304rsz2ad2.jpg]
Banner by Shimitsu.
Hey, thanks! For the answer and for the positivity.

Good to know that it can be done and it's not a bad idea. I'll keep in mind the need to warn my readers if I make more than just minor corrections.

I'm a complete amateur in this genre, yes, so I'm willing to incorporate any feedback I can get to improve my stories. I guess they will be kind of shitty at first... but that's how you get better. Wink
In terms of editing published chapters, it is an easy matter to do so. On the upper right corner of your story will be a button to edit your published works. You can change anything you want.

Most authors actually use that to do some minor changes including fixing grammatical errors. But if you really need to, then yes you can make major changes up to changing your entire story if you really want to. Do over is a possibility but I have to warn you that it doesn't really give you a good impression on your readers.
Check my fictions
"Invincible"
"Gamer of the Dead"
And the newest  "Slam No Basuke"
(12-01-18, 10:35 AM)batotit Wrote: In terms of editing published chapters, it is an easy matter to do so. On the upper right corner of your story will be a button to edit your published works. You can change anything you want.

Most authors actually use that to do some minor changes including fixing grammatical errors. But if you really need to, then yes you can make major changes up to changing your entire story if you really want to. Do over is a possibility but I have to warn you that it doesn't really give you a good impression on your readers.
Thank you! 

I will take this into account. I don't mind harshness or bad reviews but I'd rather not confuse or alienate my readers, so I'll be careful.
Welcome to RRL!

Just another thing they didn't say, you can use the pre chapter author notes -of a new chapter- to warn your reader if the changes are too big.
(13-01-18, 03:57 AM)curvinho Wrote: Welcome to RRL!

Just another thing they didn't say, you can use the pre chapter author notes -of a new chapter- to warn your reader if the changes are too big.

Excellent suggestion!