Damage Numbers in LitRPG

Here's something I found myself wondering, and I can't recall off the top of my head how I've seen it done in other books.

When I'm referring to damage or hit point numbers in text, do they get spelled out or done numerically?

Quote:Blood spilled out as 46 HP went away all at once, about a third of my health bar. The 5 Armor from my jacket only did so much, clearly.
or
Quote:Blood spilled out as forty-six hit points went away all at once, about a third of my health bar. The five Armor from my jacket only did so much, clearly.

The second feels more proper, but the first seems like it reads easier.
Thoughts?
-
Brian D Howard
author of Simon Rising, an After the Crash superhero novel available on Amazon
working on Riftworlds Online, a genre-crossing LitRPG. Check out the continuing rough draft.

RE: Damage Numbers in LitRPG

Due to LitRPG being a rather new, and very contemporary genre, I posit that it's really up to aesthetic preference at this point.

While spelling out forty-six is indeed a more traditional way to handle numbers in fiction, LitRPG caters to a crowd used to seeing the actual damage numbers their characters are dealing.

I've been reading a lot of LitRPG this past year, perhaps to the point of over-saturating myself with it, and find that if an author is going to include damage numbers,  I prefer the actual numbers (46 in your example) myself.  

That said, if the author is numbering something that has nothing to do with a gameplay mechanic, I would probably expect it to be spelled out.

Our language is evolving.  For instance, it used to be traditional and expected to have two spaces after punctuation.  With the rise of computers and various fonts however (thank you RRL for pointing this out to me), that has largely fallen to the wayside and now we usually find only one space after punctuation.

LitRPG has a little freedom in this regard, I think.
https://i.imgur.com/JBLglrm.jpg