Yet Another Question About Chapter Releases and Lengths

TL;DR
Should I break up long, bi-weekly released chapters into parts to be released over 2 weeks, or leave them as is?

I've just recently released the first chapter of my first story, but now I'm starting to have some doubts about the method I've decided to go with when writing. Namely, I plan to write and edit a full volume (40k-50k words) at a time to maintain consistency in the story. My original plan was to release each chapter bi-weekly while I write the next volume in the series, but I've started to see problems with that idea and would appreciate some input on the matter.

I've seen quite a few posts asking about preferences between daily, semi-weekly, weekly, and bi-weekly releases, so I'll try my best to avoid re-asking questions I've already read responses for. Any way, here's the problem I'm struggling with:

My average chapter length is a little more than 8,000 words, which is part of the reason why I plan on bi-weekly releases. The chapter lengths are largely due to the "this is where I want the chapter to end," thought, but now that I've posted the first chapter I look at it and wonder if perhaps it's too large to enjoy properly. One of the draws of web novels, in my opinion, is that the chapters are short enough to digest when you have a few moments, but the stories can be long enough to binge several chapters when you really feel like sitting down and reading.

Assuming I'm not just overthinking it, I've been considering the possibility of splitting up the chapters at scene breaks in order to create smaller easier to read chapter parts that can be released over a two week period. Basically keeping the same bi-weekly schedule, but letting the chapters trickle out over time. The only real downside I currently see with that idea is not having the most ideal conclusions at the end of each chapter part, but maybe that doesn't bother people?

As a reader, do you prefer shorter chapters (<3000 words) that are easier to navigate, or longer chapters (8,000+ words) that have more substance?

Also, if I decide to break the chapters into parts, should I do so to the already released chapter 1 (all parts released at once of course, so I'm not simply recycling old content) or leave it as is?

RE: Yet Another Question About Chapter Releases and Lengths

This is the usual advice that people give on releasing a new story and my own opinion:

When posting a new story, you should mass release chapters, meaning one chapter every day, or every 2 days. This will attract readers and show your commitment.

Concerning chapter length, the minimum chapter length that people will accept on the website and not get angry is 1000 words, like my own novel. So, chapters under 3000 words are fine and a bit better than the 8000 words chapters.

The only requirement for posting a shorter chapter is that it needs to have a clear goal and a point that it wants to convey. I wouldn't recommend you posting the story as chapter 2 part 1, chapter 2 part 2. It makes the reader feel like you are holding out on them and they will get angry.

My advice is to search for parts in your longer chapters that feel like a cliffhanger, or part where one sequence of events end and another begins, like the switching of a topic in conversation, then breaking the chapter there. Then, rewriting the beginning of each chapter piece, that has been broken off into parts, so it doesn't feel like this was supposed to be one big chapter.

For the first 2 weeks, follow my suggestion and break the chapter up into parts, but don't call them parts call them chapters on their own, then you can discuss it with your readers on whether they want longer, slower release chapters, or shorter, faster release chapters.

If your chapter size is about 8k words, my preference as a reader would almost be to just do once a week full chapters instead of every two weeks. But that’s largely because I prefer larger chapters 2-3 times a week, which not everyone can keep up with.

I find small chapters to be unsatisfying fairly often. To use an example, I love the story mooderino’s writing in “Bitter”, but his chapter releases are only a little over 1000 words a day. This tends to leave me in a position where I wait a few days between visiting his story, because otherwise I just feel like nothing really got accomplished in the chapter. Despite liking the story, it’s mostly become an ‘Eh I’m not busy, let’s see what’s happened recently’ kind of read.

Meanwhile, some others like Practical Guide To Evil or Wandering Inn have huge posts multiple times per week, and those I always look forward and check regularly because it always feels like something interesting will happen every new chapter.

So, the answer seems to be - Shorter chapters with more frequent releases, but make them longer.

I like that answer, but I wonder how well I'll be able to follow through with it. Since it seems like release frequency is more important, unless I'm misunderstanding, I'll forgo the idea of a bi-weekly releases at the expense of chapter length but try to increase individual chapter length over the course of releases. I suppose my first goal in this would be 4-5k word chapters 2 or 3 times a week, but since that more than doubles what I'm currently doing, it may take a while.

Also, thanks for your input, Ashkari.

'Karsten' pid='832089' dateline='1516650783' Wrote: I suppose my first goal in this would be 4-5k word chapters 2 or 3 times a week, but since that more than doubles what I'm currently doing, it may take a while.

Then don't do that.

If you can normally release 8k words in 2 weeks, then all you need to do is cut it in half and make a weekly series. Most people find that is a nice normal pace to keep track of a story. Posting at odd days won't help keep readers, as they like consistency and not just volume.

Do not force yourself to write more than you can, or want to. Pace yourself properly, and if your story appeals to readers, they will read it no matter how big your chapters are.

There really is no set formula for writing. Do what you can and have fun. If you force yourself, your writing will suffer.

Just putting in my nickle of advice. It used to be 2 cents, but with no pennies anymore and inflation... :)

I continued Master of All, Jack of None (16 chapters) as a fan-fiction. Chapter 17 to 790 (completed) are here: Mythran's Master of All - Continued.
I have a new original fiction (scifi with VR) on the go here: L.I.F.E. Begins.
Check out some of my other stuff as well by going to my profile and clicking 'fictions'.

I’ll second Bokuboy in ‘Dont Try and force yourself to maintain a pace that’s too much’

A question you might want to ask yourself is ‘how much do I really care about getting in the top lists?’

If that’s not huge in your list of concerns, 1x 4-5k chapter a week, or maybe 2x 2-3k chapters might do it.

While I do think more releases are better for visibility (and now that I’ve started posting my own story, I can see why - nearly all the changes that happen in views/followers seem to be the first 3-4 hour’s after an update), if you don’t care too much about that stuff, it’s also fine to just build up readership once a week. Arcane Emperor for example had been doing a single weekly chapter for a long time, and it’s been in the top 10 for most of it, simply because at least until recently he’s been relatively consistent with releases.

Burn out is a thing. While more frequent posts of moderate length is what I’d recommend if you’re looking for ‘best practices’, it’s also important to find a pace you can work with for the long haul.

Thanks for the responses.

I'll probably keep up the pace of larger chapters once a week, at least until the end of the second volume (they're short volumes, so like chapter 11-ish not including prologues/epilogues), but it's true that I probably won't be able to keep up that pace. I've been writing by hand for reasons, but I keep track of time spent and words written, and it seems like it takes me about 3hrs per 1k words. It's probably going to become a bit unreasonable to keep that schedule for too long, so I'm sure the chapters will get shorter eventually.

When using a keyboard, I generally write/type 600 - 1400 wph depending on my mood and what I'm writing, so forgoing the pencil/paper step would also solve the problem I guess. Especially if I include the time it takes to type up a handwritten chapter (about 2k - 3k wph).

Now that I've written all that out, I'm starting to think that maybe I just spend too much time on each chapter ...
Maybe I really should stop writing my first drafts on paper just to save the extra time it takes.